Benefits of Membership
WDC is a statewide association of attorneys who practice primarily in the defense of civil litigation. WDC was formed in 1962 and has grown to over 500 attorneys. We offer a variety of activities and services for the defense attorney.
WDC bylaws state that eligible WDC members are, "Any member of the State Bar of Wisconsin and who devotes a substantial portion of his or her professional time in the defense of civil litigation."
WDC holds three education programs during the year, all of which provide continuing legal education (CLE) credits. Strong, substantive programs present the latest developments in the field of civil litigation. These programs bring together insurance industry claims staff and defense attorneys to share common problems and concerns on an informal basis.
A spring seminar is held in April or May at the American Club, Kohler, Wisconsin. A summer seminar is held in August. A winter seminar is held in December.
For more on these activities, see the calendar of events.
Other member benefits include:
- Inclusion on the WDC Web site, linked to your web site.
- Triannual journal, reporting on current tort topics and matters of interest to the defense bar;
- Legislative liaison to the Wisconsin Assembly for the defense bar;
- Amicus curiae briefs in appellate cases of significance and importance to the defense bar;
- Position papers prepared for presentation and publication on current issues of legislation affecting civil litigation;
- Weekly Advance eSheet with selected cases, posts, links and Circuit Court decision of interest;
- Opt-in communication through the member list serve;
- Support for and participation in the National Association of Local Defense Groups, held in conjunction with the Defense Research Institute, Inc.;
- WDC is the only statewide organization which is specifically designed to meet the needs and solve the problems of the defense trial attorney. Joining will give you an opportunity to meet and work with the defense bar throughout the State of Wisconsin.